- Bujji Aama, 52, sustained burns to half her body in a house fire
- She was treated at MKCG Medical College and Hospital but sent home
- Locals raised cash to help poor family pay for cremation ceremony
A woman thought to be dead woke up at the funeral parlor moments before she was cremated.
Days earlier, on February 1, 52-year-old Bujji Aamma from Berhampur, India, had been severely burnt in a fire at home.
She was taken to MKCG Medical College and Hospital for treatment, with burns covering half her body.
She returned home, but remained in a very bad state.
Due to the families poor finances, they were unable to get her in to another hospital for further treatment – and a few days later, on Monday, she didn’t open her eyes.
Due to the family’s poor finances, locals donated money to help pay for the cremation ceremony (Stock image)
Aamma’s husband, Sibaram Palo, believing she had died, arranged for her to be taken to the cremation ground in a hearse.
He told Times of India: ‘We thought she was dead and informed others in the locality to arrange a hearse van to carry the body to the cremation ground.’
One woman, K Chiranjibi, who accompanied Aamma in the hearse said they had almost completed assembling the funeral pyre when she opened her eyes.
Chiranjibi said: ‘Initially we were scared as we had never seen such an incident, though we had heard some stories.’
The driver of the hearse, Khetrabashi Sahu, who originally collected Aamma’s ‘body’ from her home at 9am, was called to collect her, living and breathing, from the cremation ground only half an hour later.
She was taken home in the same hearse.
According to the crematorium, locals do not need to provide a death certificate to perform the last rites of a family member.